-

3/12/13

Caldo de Camarón ~ a.k.a. ~ Spicy Shrimp Soup


I promised you I would share one of my most favorite recipes and I meant it.  I love to order shrimp cocktail or seafood soup at authentic Mexican restaurants.  Their shrimp cocktail is totally different than what you would get if you ordered one at an American Restaurant.  It's really more of a soup and it's De~licious!
This recipe is very similar to what you would get at a Mexican restaurant, but it's MY version.  It's one of my most favorite light meals EVER.  The only real difference I can tell is that I just don't serve mine in a big margarita glass like the Mexican Restaurants do.  Sorry.   :)   
I need those margarita glasses for real margaritas . . . shhhh }

CALORIESCARBSFATPROTEIN    
I use frozen cooked shrimp from Costco (peeled/tail off), so all I do is submerge them into boiling water until they are heated thoroughly.   You can use fresh shrimp from your grocer if you prefer, just clean it and cook it accordingly.  

Use approximately 12 oz. of shrimp to make enough for four servings

Add cooked shrimp to a pot with:
3-4 Cups Tomato juice (Clamato or Spicy V8 can be used if preferred)
2 Cups Diced Tomatoes
Juice of 3-4 limes
2-4 Diced Jalapenos
2 cloves Diced Fresh Garlic
2 Cups Chopped Cucumber
1 Cup Diced Sweet Onions
1 Packet of Sweetener or Tablespoon of Sugar (optional)
Salt & Pepper to taste (optional)
A pinch or two of Red Pepper Flakes to add heat (optional ~ a must for me, but I love spicy)

Bring JUST to a boil then remove from heat and add:
1 Bunch Diced Cilantro
2 Large Diced Avocados 

Caldo de camarón

Serve with a wedge of lime.  

This dish is so fresh and satisfying.  Of course, I really spice mine up with the jalapenos, red pepper flakes and sometimes I use the Spicy V8 also.  The Clamato has clam juice and adds more of a seafood depth to the soup.  If you love seafood this would be for you.  I listed the sweeteners as optional but in my opinion it is just not the same without that slight sweetness, but it's up to you.  Enjoy!

Note:   Many Mexican Restaurants will serve with Saltine crackers and tomato ketchup on the side.  The tomato ketchup adds sweetness and would replace the packet of sweetener or sugar listed above.  These ingredients are optional and I have not included them in my nutritional values below.  


                            per serving           calories       carbs      fat      protein
Cucumber (peeled), 0.5 cup, pared, chopped8100
Tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average, 0.5 cup, chopped or sliced19401
Vegetable Juice Cocktail (V8), 1 cup501002
Shrimp, cooked, 3 oz840118
Avocados, California (Haas), 0.5 fruit without skin and seeds1447132
Limes, 1 fruit (2" dia)20700
Jalapeno Peppers, 1 pepper4100
Cilantro, raw, 1 tbsp0000
Onions, raw, 0.25 cup, chopped15300

DINNER TOTALS:345341524

Don't forget to link up or even just check out the amazing healthy recipes, fitness tips, personal challenges and inspirational posts going on at our link party NOW:



AND!!! . . .
Don't forget to enter the Saint Patrick's Giveaway for a $165 Target Gift card that I'm Co-hosting HERE:


Who couldn't spend $165 at Target???  
I swear I did just that on Saturday.  :)

Thanks for stopping by today!! 
Sherry    :)




sharing with:
http://myuncommonsliceofsuburbia.com/
http://www.cedarhill-ranch.com

6 comments :

  1. I agree with Camille. I can't wait to try some. And the calorie count is not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, yum! And thanks for providing the nutrition info, I am surprised how many people forget that!

    xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes
    My 1,000 Follower Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh YUM! Saving this - LOVE good mexican food and LOVE shrimp!

    ReplyDelete